Sunday 25 November 2012

Small Delights


One November morning in Toronto I was walking to my optometrist when I neared a couple of men talking. They were standing beside a row of parked cars and from one car window a woman was reaching to give some cash to one of the men. He offered it to the other man, whose truck was parked adjacent. The money was refused. I gathered that the younger guy had boosted the first man’s car battery and as I continued past I smiled at what I was hearing.
“Oh no, that’s okay, thanks.”
“Come on. I really appreciate your help!”
“Nope. Really. No – I’m not going to take it, man. But thanks.”

Generosity.

Twenty minutes later I was returning home and shared grins with a young woman walking toward me. She was holding an ipod with its speaker on and singing aloud with the tinny- sounding pop song, careless of what any of us might think.

Freedom.

Later at a grocery store I overheard two employees teasing each other about how much they had contributed last year to their Christmas project. Their voices were full of goodwill.

Friendship.

May your day sparkle with small delights.