Monday 20 May 2013

Well, Shut My Mouth


I LOVE laughing. I’d rather hang out with a funny person than almost any other type. 
Last night I tried to enjoy the start of YouTube’s Comedy Week. Grr. I had to turn it off when it had barely begun. Apparently few comics are creative enough to be funny without appealing to our most primitive selves, the selves that are intrigued by violence, bodily excretions and genitalia. Haw, haw, haw.
I expect my young grandchildren to be fascinated and amused by such references, but aren't we supposed to mature beyond that level?
I don’t know about you, but I don’t need any help with defaulting to an ugly perspective on life. I already tend toward cynicism and despair, so I long for humour that is clever and animating. Satire of human foibles can be hilarious and yet encouraging. Talented comics can crack us up just by imitating Everyman impatiently waiting for an elevator. Their witty insight sticks with us; from then on, every time we have to wait for an elevator we smile to, and at, ourselves (Thankyou, Ellen DeGeneres). 
When I came across the quote below, it made me wonder what daily life would be like if we followed its advice:
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen…. 
You mean that the smartest comment doesn’t win?
Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice.
Even when somebody just dissed me?
Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.
But she was so mean!
Among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God’s holy people. Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving.
What world are you living in, Prissy Boots?
Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise…
Oh, relax.
Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. 
Party Pooper.
Instead, be filled with (get drunk on) the Spirit, speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit.
Weird. Really weird.
Sing and make music from your heart to God, always giving thanks for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
If we all followed this advice from Ephesians 4, what would it be like on the internet...or in politics...at home...at work...in schools and churches...in traffic?